On this blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is the Rainbow Connection

One of my all time favorite songs is sung by...

A frog?

Well...  Kermit is no ordinary frog.  I knew the Muppets long before Kermit made his appearance.  Ralph the Dog was on the Jimmy Dean show way back when.  I was just about a toddler, but I remember him.

I could post quite a bit about the Muppets and their contributions over the years.  The duet between Rudolph Nureyev and Miss Piggy in the sauna room where Nureyev is singing 'I really can't stay...' and Miss Piggy is trying to convince him otherwise.  Swine Lake (from the same show).  Pigs in Space with Lance Hogthrob...

Ah, well.  I loved the Muppets.  But oddly enough, I didn't encounter this song through a movie or their show.  I heard it on the radio back in the 'eighties.  The singer was terrible (who expects a frog to sing well?) and the DJ said he'd love to hear Judy Collins do justice to it.

I don't know about that.  Kermit, somehow, expresses for me the smile and the wishing and the determination.

Here's the YouTube video from the movie CLICK HERE

...and here are the lyrics.


Why are there so many
Songs about rainbows?
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions
But only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide

So we've been told
And some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong wait and see
Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

 

Who said that ev'ry wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
Look what it's done so far
What's so amazing
That keeps us star-gazing?
And what do we think we might see

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me 

All of us under it's spell
We know that it's probably magic

 
Have you been half asleep
And have you heard voices
I've heard them calling my name
Is this the sweet sound
That calls the young sailors
The voice might be one and the same
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something that I'm supposed to be

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me
 

Songwriters: WILLIAMS/ASCHER
Rainbow Connection lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC


Best of luck to all - I'll meet you at the Rainbow Connection!

13 comments:

  1. I loved the muppets too. They made me laugh so much. That's a sweet song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the songs the muppets sang had lovely words and a strong message for children.
    Anne/
    Is Anyone There

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the new Muppet movie recently with Jason Segal. Love Kermit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! There's a new one? OK, I'm off to look for it!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how cute! This takes me back to when I was a kid. I loved the Muppets and do you remember the Electric Company? (Probably before your time, but I loved it.)
    Yay for frogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Electric company? Gosh, I'd forgotten! What a great memory!

      Delete
  5. my daughter just watched this for the first time last evening...i've been singing this song to her since she was a tiny person and now that she's 3, she knows all the words...what a great song...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the Muppets and anything they do. I was addicted to the Muppet Show record my grandfather would play for me when I was a baby. My fav is Lydia the Tattooed Lady. :-) I love your AtoZ theme because I love music!! New follower here.

    Ashlee / Ramblings of a Silly Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... Lydia the tattooed lady... The best thing about memories is remembering... ;) Your NYC posts are great!

      Delete
  7. Oh, thank you for reminding me of this very special song. Stopping by from the A-Z, and very happy to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you came by! I've been humming it for several days now!

    ReplyDelete