On this blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Eres Tu


E is for Eres Tu




                                                     
Eres Tu ('You are') was sung by the Spanish group Mocedades, who performed it for the first time in 1973.   I did not hear it, myself until years later.  I first heard the melody for this on a Lawrence Welk show, of all places.  A beautiful singer from Mexico, often featured on the show, sang the words, a few of which I caught.  I loved the flow of the melody, the soaring climax, descending again, warmly, to a smile.

I took classes in Spanish when I was very young.  It is a Romance language, and I can understand it if I see it written, but the words of a song generally escape me.  ...something about the night... The rest of the words escaped me.  I made up my own to fit the melody, sang them when I felt like it, and stopped everything to listen when the song came on the air, as it still does from time to time.

And then along came the internet, and I adapted.  Last year it occurred to me that I could maybe look up the song, learn what, exactly, it was about, and stop singing phonetic gibberish.  As often happens when a smash hit song is translated into another language, the words didn't make a lot of sense.  It was obviously an issue with translation, not with the words themselves - the sense was lovely, a paean to all that a loved one was to the singer.

Last week, checking again, I found a very beautiful, flowing translation of the lyrics, which I share here with full credit to the translator:

So like a promise, it is you, it is you
So like a morning in the summer
The warmth of a smile, it is you, it is you
For me, for me, it is you


My hope and my yearning, it is you, it is you
So like a cool rain in my warm hands
So like a soft wind, it is you, it is you
For me, for me, it is you


The rhyme in my poem, it is you, it is you
Like a guitar sounds in the nighttime
The light on my horizon, it is you, it is you
For me, for me, it is you


I found a link on YouTube to one of the original performances.  It is HERE .  I like it even more.

I also found a link to a fairly recent performance of that song, which is something of a classic in Spain, deservedly.  Mocedades has worn well.


6 comments:

  1. OK let's see if you can follow along...

    Me encanta esta cancion. Las palabras estan escritas con mucha pasion.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up 'palabras' - and then I remembered that it is the word upon which the slang term 'palaver' is based. (They sure didn't get the sense of palabras, in that case!) I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I love that song!!! I am actually a fan of Mocedades. Great choice, Diane. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one I've loved for years, and it means even more now that I've watched that group perform... (Thanks for stopping by!)

      Delete
  3. The internet is great for filling in gabs of your childhood information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard this one. Off to listen...

    ReplyDelete