On this blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for…

   There are three songs that seem to tie together.  Let’s look into them:

 Carry On My Wayward Son was featured in Kansas’ Leftoverture album.  It was also featured in the movie ‘Heroes’ with Henry Winkler and a very young Harrison Ford (and Sally Fields).  It has some themes that seem to mean something to me:
 

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about, I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say…

Hm.  We are all just a little frenetic in our younger years, but things seem to mellow when we come to ourselves and buckle down.  We even grin, a little:
Turning back the pages to the times I love best I wonder if she'll ever do the same
Now the thing that I call living is just being satisfied
With knowing I got no one left to blame


Carefree highway, I got to see you my old flame
Carefree highway, you seen better days
The morning after blues from my head down to my shoes
Carefree highway, let me slip away, slip away on you


 

But time passes,  dreams are within reach, you touch the past and reach for the future, and things are now, as they always were, possible:


Daddy's got a radio
He won it thirty years ago
He said 'Son I just know we're gonna hear you
singing on it someday!'

I Made it up to Music Row
Lordy don't the wheels turn slow
But I wouldn't Trade a minute
I wouldn't have it any other way 
Just show me to the Stage



I'm chasin' the neon rainbow, Livin' that honky-tonk dream
'Cause all I've ever wanted Is to pick this guitar and sing
Just trying to be somebody Just wanna be heard and seen
Chasin' that neon rainbow Livin' that honky-tonk dream


- - - - - -
Carry On My Wayward Son:
Songwriter(s): Kerry Livgren
Copyright: Kirshner Don Music




Carefree Highway, ©1973 by Gordon Lightfoot

Chasin' That Neon Rainbow lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.


 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Carry On My Wayward Son! Now I'm going to be singing it in my head for the rest of the day. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Crystal - and guess what I've been humming all day! Best of luck in the Challenge.

      Delete
  2. The show Supernatural featured Carry On My Wayward Son at the start of the finale of the first season showing the "road up until now." It was sooooo perfect and gave me chills. They still feature it occasionally in an episode, but it never rocks me with perfection like it did that first time.

    Best of luck with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn -
      I was interested to learn about the song's connection with Supernatural. I bet it was stunning. Blog on!

      Delete