On this blog

Friday, April 19, 2013

Q...For Quando, Quando, Quando


"So…" my sister said.  "What are you planning to use for 'Q' day?" 

I'd had a couple ideas.  Que Sera Sera was out. Not because I didn't like the sentiment, but because there were nothing but cutesy performances.  Juice Newton's song from the 70's, - the Queen of Hearts - was a strong contender.  It's another I'll sing along with.  Actually, that was the original winner.

And then I came up with this.  I was planning to post this as a humorous bit.  You know: one of those songs where you know one or two lines and the rest you just sort of fill in.

The song is 'Quando, Quando, Quando'.  I've always liked the tune, but I never knew the words.  It was originally written in Italian and was a hit from the sixties - a little prior to my listening era. 

I liked the tune, but the words -

'La-da-dee-dah- dahdah-dee!  Dee may quando quando quando'

Nope.  Too stupid.  So I found Juice Newton singing Queen of Hearts.  And then, for the heck of it, I did a search on YouTube for Quando Quando Quando.  I found Engelbert Humperdinck in an early iteration in the Hollywood Bowl surrounded by dancers in gold sequined bras and gold lame' bell bottoms.  His trousers appeared to have been spray-painted on. 
But then I found this video with the Kessler Twins.  They were a pair of dancers who were very very good.  Enjoy the video.  Click on THIS to see it...

And here are the lyrics in the original Italian.

Dimmi quando tu verrai

dimmi quando quando quando

l'anno il giorno l'ora in cui

forse tu mi bacerai

ogni istante attendero'

fino a quando quando quando

d'improvviso ti vedro'

sorridente accanto a me


se vuoi dirmi di si

devi dirlo perchè

non ha senso per me

la mia vita senza te


dimmi quando tu verrai

dimmi quando quando quando

e baciandomi dirai

non ci lasceremo mai


se vuoi dirmi di si

devi dirlo perchè

non ha senso per me

la mia vita senza te


dimmi quando tu verrai

dimmi quando quando quando

e baciandomi dirai

non ci lasceremo mai


dimmi quando tu verrai

dimmi quando quando quando
(and if you go searching and find Michael Buble's version, don't bother.  This song was written to be performed to a bossa nova beat, not a 'Hamlet's Soliloquy' beat)

3 comments:

  1. I loved that song--every swoning teenager in Europe knew at least the first stanza in Italian. Thanks for reminding me of a blissful time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was truly dreadful, but the OH says he remembers it. Dime quando means "tell me when" in spanish as well as Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally didn't know this song lol
    Love the twin sisters though ;)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete