On this blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B - Back in the High Life Again

This song by Steve Winwood somehow speaks to dreams I once had and renounced because of initial disappointments and the pure hard work involved in them.  Like the others I speak of in this challenge, it's one of those songs that make me stop what I'm doing and listen. 

I tend to be a visual sort, and as a storyteller I find that songs turn themselves into stories.    I can see someone who turned away and rejected  everything confident that he could do it all by himself and not 'pay his dues', coming to himself thinking that he could do it, and this time he would do it right, step back into the world he belonged in.  It might take courage...

But when you're born to run
It's so hard to just slow down
So don't be surprised to see me
Back in that bright part of town

But will he be welcomed back?  does he have a chance? Is it worth the risk to try again? To straighten his shoulders, take a deep breath and move forward?  Does he dare?  Would I dare?  You have to try -

You used to be the best
To make life be life to me
And I hope that you're still out there
And you're like you used to be


Is it worth the risk? IS it? IS IT?  You take a deep breath, open the door, look at the faces turned toward you, step forward, hopes high -

We'll be back in the high life again
All the eyes that watched us once
Will smile and take us in


It is.


 Songwriter(s): Steve Winwood, Will Jennings
Copyright: F.s. Music Ltd., Blue Sky Rider Songs

3 comments:

  1. Another underrated song--love this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the song. I think I'm starting to reclaim the 80s (a decade I lost along the way). Just heard Air Supply at another site, too. NICE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying the journey. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete