On this blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Small Celebrations - Old Love

Today I am sitting in my usual seat, looking up the hill after a rainy night. The soil is no doubt soft enough that I can dig up that big Norway Maple in my front yard.  the one that keeps dropping leaves in autumn. 
17 year old BJ on the right






I can reach my teacup, but it is a stretch.  There is a sort of roadblock between me and its brown, hot goodness.

In this photo, large, black, with a face full of white whiskers, he is on the right.  I'm celebrating old love because BJ ('Black Jack', a Bombay) will be turning 17 years old on Wednesday.

Dawn love is silver,
Wait for the west.
Old love is gold love -
Old love is best

lifting a cup of tea this morning for old BJ

(Note: Frida, beside him, is nine years old...)

15 comments:

  1. I lift my cup of coffee with you. I have any old lady that turned 19 this month and still looks great. My cat doesn't show her age, unlike me. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An oldster of a pet is a tribute to the owner's care. Scrumble your old darling for me!

      Delete
  2. Acknowledging old loves is wonderful; especially if they have stuck around (the furry four-legged ones usually do...). You just made me turn around and give my two a pat--just for being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and thank you for coming by with your charming pair!

      Delete
  3. ::Cheers:: lifting my cup of coffee for old BJ!

    Cute poem ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by - and if you happen to take cream in your coffee and, somehow, manage to spill some, he will be your fan for life!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That kitty loves children. No matter how rowdy or naughty, Children = delight, which = purrs!

      Delete
  5. Awww.... I have a 15 year old kitty at home. She gets feistier with each passing year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldtimers of any species are delightful. I hope you have her for many years more.

      Delete
  6. Nice scene of relaxing before a bout of hard work. It seems as if BJ may be getting wise in his old age. :) Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a quote from Jerome K Jerome (Three Men in a Boat, To Say Nothing of The Dog) that BJ endorses:
      'Work fascinates me. I can watch it forever."

      Delete
  7. How appropriate that you wrote about "old love" on my 44th anniversary. HA! (Um, actually, I was a mere zygote when we got hitched.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to ask how you managed to circumvent the laws forbidding marriage for babies. (...and may you enjoy many more years in health and increasing happiness!)

      Delete