On this blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Tea...

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time
the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company. ~Author Unknown



There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be
much diminished by a nice cup of tea. 
~Bernard-Paul Heroux


The last time I traveled to London, I arrived before my hotel room was ready.  It had been a long flight, I hadn't slept, I was frazzled and dead tired.  I was told to return after 1:30, at which time my room would be awaiting me. 

I did, and it wasn't.

I burst into tears.

At this point three people converged on me, one of them patting my hand, the other guiding me to a nice, bright table in the dining room screened from the noise and commotion, another bringing me 'A nice cup of tea, dear...'  They scattered, then, returning after I'd drunk the tea and eaten the biscuits and dried my tears.  My room was ready...


Another novelty is the tea-party, an extraordinary
meal in that, being offered to persons that have already
dined well, it supposes neither appetite nor thirst,
and has no object but distraction, no basis but delicate enjoyment.
~Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, The Physiology of Taste


I enjoyed tea in the British Isles.  When I traveled through Ireland (bed and breakfast; rental car, lots of photos...) my midday meal was tea.< 



I fell in love with Bakewell tarts, and the strong, milk-laced tea.< 









                                                                          


 Sandwiches, too...









                                                                         
And scones...






I have my laptop on my lap (where else?) I've eaten a light lunch and I'm contemplating putting the teakettle on to brew what will be my sixth cup today. I should be working on my current story-in-the-works (see my post entitled Mourningtide), but right now the thought of tea is holding my attention.>


It sounds like a good idea. There's something about a cup of tea that seems to steady and comfort (not to mention the tannin that is good against a sore throat). Definitely comfort drink...And I still haven't put the kettle on.  Excuse me, one and all.  I'll write something literary and well-thought-out tomorrow.  Tea time!>


No comments:

Post a Comment