On this blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Love Never Lost

I was at a cat show this weekend.  It's a long story, and involves my eleven year old cat, Frida, who also modeled for Harry Winston.  I kid you not.  She loved the attention, the petting, the fussing over her - and, as vain as all cats, she enjoyed the necklace.  This photo was in the catalog for Harry Winston for that year, and I had obtained a copy of it for myself.  No, I didn't make any money for the sitting.  I hadn't expected to.  It was a favor for a friend, and I was tickled to see her wearing a quarter of a million dollars worth of diamonds.  Apparently, she enjoyed everyone.

I brought the catalog with me to the show.  My dear friend who gave me Frida (for the sum of $1) was there, and I wanted her to see it. 

The catalog had a pocket in the back cover.  I found a folded piece of paper there.  I took it out, unfolded it, and saw my father's handwriting:
Dear Diana,
It's been a rough time for you, I know, and I'm sending you a little something to help you along.  There is more where that came from, as you know, and you only need to ask.
Your mother and I are proud of you.
Love,
Dad 
I had to turn away, a hand to my eyes.  I had not expected to find that. I remembered that terrible time, the economy at a halt, layoffs, no one hiring...  I remembered a lot of things.  Sternness when necessary, always there, always reliable.  Strike him as I might, he always rang true.  Perhaps the best gift I ever received.

I was remembering him just now, listening to this song:



The words to the second verse always speak to me:

          If heaven was a town, it would be my town
          Oh - on a summer day in 1985
          And everything I wanted was out there waitin'
          And everyone I loved was still alive


I thought of them as I folded the note and put it back in the pocket.  Often, what was never dies, but still is...


We always loved fireflies

22 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest story! I'm very sentimental (who knew?) about letters and cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about a letter, especially one scrawled by someone's hand, sounding as though they're talking. Notes from children are especially wonderful.

      Delete
  2. What a poignant post. Thank you for sharing your heart with us.

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for sharing your time, which is precious, here.

      :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story and such an unexpected find! Your father's note is really supportive. Just what a daughter or son wants to hear. I wish all parents were like that. And yay for Frida - the star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to know when people are admiring her, the flirt! She loves children in wheelchairs (they love her, too), elderly folk who miss their cats, and parents with children in tow. One time she was an 'ambassadress' for her breed at a show. I got a faux rhinestone bracelet and twined it around her neck like a collar. At the end of the weekend, as I was packing up to go, a tired-looking woman came by and admired her, petting her and talking to her. She was taken with the 'diamond collar' and asked her where I bought it. I am from New England, in the upper northeast United States. She was in Georgia, a world away. I told her the name of the teen jewelry store and then, suddenly, took the bracelet from Frida's neck and said, "Here: it is yours. Let me show you how to adjust it - and don't forget to get a photo of your charming boy wearing it!" You would have thought that I was the Queen and she had been put on the annual honors list. I often wondered if she got a photo of her cat wearing the 'necklace'.

      Delete
  4. Anyone who likes some Country, that person's OK.

    I know the feeling. I was just writing up my Vote Tally for my latest Battle Of The Bands, which included the song 'Long Hard Climb' by Maria Muldaur. I recounted how I'd heard the song maybe 50 times and never thought twice about it. Until the time I heard it while sitting under a tree going through my Ma's things shortly after she passed away. Suddenly, I really "heard" the song for the very first time, and I was reduced to tears.

    Music can really touch us, eh, DIANA?

    Yeah, your Dad, he's still around. And he'll be there for you later, too.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so strange, how you can hear something over and over - and like it, too - and then, one day, really *hear* it. Someone (I think it was Annie Dillard the writer) told of a society where children were taught songs, "You must learn this. You will need it some day." (I just listened to 'Long Hard Climb'...I can imagine the memories.)

      Delete
    2. Speaking of teaching children songs they will need some day, have you ever seen the documentary 'THE SINGING REVOLUTION'? My 'Battle Of The Bands' co-host FarAwayEyes turned me onto that one a couple years ago and it is one of the very best documentaries I've ever watched (and I've seen plenty!)

      For me it's Top 3 at minimum, and quite possible #1. Incredible, must-see movie!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, @John Holton - I heard it for the first time driving home from visiting friends. The line about fireflies caught me. It's odd, what makes you click with something.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, Diana. So sweet and sad. Sympathies re your dad. Also, I have to say, Frida is absolutely stunning in that necklace! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette... I haven't forgiven her for not absconding with it...

      Delete
  7. I should know this song. I lost my own dad in 1985 (he was 58) and you can imagine the emotion it triggered. The precious words of love in your dad's letter are so beautiful, words to cherish forever....and I'm sure you will!
    Also....Frida all spruced up in her necklace is absolutely charming. Never thought of cats as being vain before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon Marie Himsl! 1985... That would certainly touch me. I know you still miss him. I am always finding reasons to be grateful that I had such a good Dad (sometimes wacky sense of humor and all!)

      Delete
  8. This is a warm and wonderful post, sorry about your dad. As for Frida, she's got style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cathreine - It takes a stylish lady to appreciate a stylish princess - er, make that cat!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful discovery--I'm so glad you discovered the note from your father. A lovely reminder that the people we love never truly leave us.

    ReplyDelete