On this blog

Monday, September 7, 2015

The Scarlet Pimpernel!! (Just for fun...)

I read The Scarlet Pimpernel years ago and enjoyed it.  It appears to have drawn quite a few fans even though it was written a hundred years ago.  I had not known that there were several books in the series (they are going on my e-reader as I type) and since I enjoy swashbucklers and intrigue, I think I'll be enjoying them.

There have been several movies, starting (in my experience) with the one starring Leslie Howard as The Pimpernel.

I love costume dramas.

How could I not?

"Sink me!"

Derring-do, an unexpected hero masquerading as a fop, 











A beautiful heroine (who wears some smashing hats!) who does not know that her husband, whom she loves, loves her to distraction... 



Danger, deceit, swords...















Escapes from the guillotine - a formidable (and rather sexy) villain (here with words from the musical - sung by Terrence Mann -  combined with a montage of video clips)...



What more can anyone want?

How about a test to see where you fit in?



This test brought to you by Blakeney Manor.

Find out:Which Scarlet Pimpernel character are you?



Fun!

*sigh*

...back to editing. Happy Labor Day!

10 comments:

  1. I am Sir Andrew Ffoulkes. Now I'll have to read the book to find out who that is. Tricky.

    Actually, I've been meaning to read this forever, on my husband's recommendation. I'll have to tell him it's a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy them, though I confess that at the end of the first book (I have not read the others: they came as a pleasant surprise!) I was ready to shake Marguerite. But how delicious that The Scarlet Pimpernel disabled the villainous Chauvelin by offering him his snuff box, which was filled with pepper!

      Delete
  2. Hi Diana .. Martin Shaw is certainly drool-worthy ... and a delight to watch - we've had a few tv programmes/serials with him in ... and I usually watch! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, the UK has quite a stable of truly good actors and actresses whom you can see in all sorts of productions. I shall have to hunt for more with Mr. Shaw...

      Delete
  3. Wasn't there a movie with Danny Kaye? Maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... Not sure. The Court Jester (with Basil Rathbone and Glynnis Johns) was set rather earlier, but was a true laugh-fest.

      Delete
  4. We need to read The Count of Monte Crisco again, Diana! One of my favorite swashbucklin' types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy his escape from that prison, and from then it's buckle up the swash...

      Delete
  5. Sounds great. Love the old pic of Jane Seymour, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just purchased the soundtrack (hmmm... Not sure that is the right word for a live performance musical) of the Broadway production. Splendid music!

      Delete