On this blog

Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday Celebrations, November 22, 2013


Happy Friday!  Thanks to Vikki at  Scribblings of an Aspiring Author, who had the idea, we pause every Friday to think about the small things to celebrate, and share them with others.

I tend to be a sky-watcher.  A beautiful sunset or sunrise will make me stop and stare and fumble for my (phone) camera, which never quite does the trick.  I have a star chart in my bedroom.  It's the kind of thing that allows you to figure out what constellation is hiding behind the clouds.  You can get an idea of date, time, orientation..  It came in very handy when I had a character who loved to gaze at the stars.

And it is late November, the time of year when one of my favorite constellations goes striding across the sky:


ORION
I'm looking forward to stepping outside, frowning at the leaf-less trees (with the piles of leaves that must be raked tomorrow), trusting that my dog has gone nowhere near there, raising my eyes to the northeast sky and counting all the stars.

  Cheers, all - have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your own celebrations!


(And visit the other participants - see below!)

10 comments:

  1. I hope your sky is clear and bright so you can really enjoy your constellation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda - and thanks for that wonderful recipe for the simmering stock for pork chops (I shared that through Google) and for the savory flour. Yum!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing Orion, too :) That's partially because it's one of the only constellations I know offhand, but still. It always brings a sense of wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking up at the summer sky and I seemed to see a swam flying across the milky way (no, I'm not trying to sound weird). Turns out there IS a swan that is right smack in the middle, if you know where to look. That's OK - I love watching the stars any night.

      Delete
  3. Our skies have been so amazing with the clouds this week. They really make for awesome sunrises and sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Diana .. the world with a clear sky stretching deeply midnight blue onwards forever is amazing I agree .. raking leaves I'd be doing that if I had a garden ... I love the Plough ... and I'm sort of vaguely aware of some of the other constallations ...

    Have a good weekend ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching the stars and finding constellations too. I've really been enjoying Venus in our night sky this past month. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your night skies! It's too cold here, so I'm going to stay inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and your family a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving, Diana!

    ReplyDelete