On this blog

Friday, August 7, 2015

Friday Celebrations August 7, 2015



It's Celebration time with Lexa Cain's blog hop celebrating the small things.  The blog itself, started by VikLit, is something to celebrate.  Visit our fearless leader and her two wonderful co-hosts L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge and Katie @ TheCyborgMom.



 I am celebrating the end of the week, which should have started Tuesday afternoon, when I acquired the niggling notion that the next day was Friday, and each succeeding day I woke up to learn that it was nothing of the sort, and I had more days to go.  At least I did not run mad waiting and the weekend is (almost) finally here.


That is not to say that my place of employment is a nasty place to be.  Far from it.  But there's something about  Saturday...


I will, once again, pack up and head out, this time to the lovely state of Vermont, traversed by the Green Mountains, a branch of the Appalachians, if I recall correctly.


The Green Mountains of Vermont


I grew up all over the United States, including Hawaii, but Vermont, my maternal grandparents' home, was a sort of 'home base' for me and my siblings.  Grandparents, great-aunts and -uncles are gone now, but the mountains are still there, and I'll be packing my camera.

I'll be bringing a manuscript with me, involving  huge crocodile (see upper right of my blog page), that is in First Final Edit mode.  It's a fable, and enjoyable.  Long enough at ~50,000 words to have complexity, but short enough to be relaxing.  And at the moment I'm doing what I love: taking a red pencil and making corrections and such.  Somehow, digital manuscripts are nice enough, but there's nothing like  marking up paper.  And I have two colors of markers along with a ball point pen.  What more can you ask for?



Free champagne!  Well, that ain't gonna happen, but one can dream!













What are you celebrating?  

22 comments:

  1. I too absolutely enjoy that red pencil phase of revisions. It sounds like a wonderful weekend, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen - I'm enjoying it! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Oh so good to get out in the fresh air---especially to Vermont. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn -
      I'll be driving with all windows open!

      Delete
  3. I was born and spent my childhood in MA. I love the Northeast. I hope you have a wonderful time in Vermont! Good luck with your edits. And I vote "Yes" on the champagne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa, you convinced me. I just finished my last sip of champagne and am getting ready to head out in the morning. I moved around a lot, and I remember how different New Mexico was to Vermont - and loving it nonetheless (unless horned toads were about). Pens are packed!

      Delete
  4. Have fun in VT. It's very pretty there. Keep up the good work on your edits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanie - I'm hoping to complete this phase of the edit, though there's composition to come. It's funny how the actual activities of writing are so enjoyable.

      Delete
  5. Ought to be nice. Enjoy yourself, and good luck with edits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Whether the edits get done or not, something about mountains and blue skies is too intoxicating to ignore. I hope your weekend is a good one!

      Delete
  6. Ah, Vermont. Such a lovely state. My last-ever skiing days were spent on an icy slope on Mount Mansfield where I found myself dangling upside down on the crossbar of a wooden fence. That was a good thing, because beyond it yawned the nothingness of a deep valley.
    So, don't do what I did - but do enjoy the dreamy scenery. (And don't forget to feed the Crocodile!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Inge! That picture is going to follow me to bed. How incongruous! And how fortunate you didn't get hurt! I'm tossing some chocolate chips to the crocodile and heading for bed!

      Delete
  7. Now those mountains actually live up to their name. Lovely. Have fun whipping that croc into line this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with tangling with that croc is that he has a sense of humor and is completely unflappable. He is also very accommodating. (Yeah, right. Like any other character...)

      Delete
  8. Colored pens and highlighters are my favorite tools. I actually get excited about office supplies. How weird is that?

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can go into a stationery store and emerge about $572.50 the poorer - and happy, too!

      Delete
  9. We have something in common: I grew up all over the US, too (although we missed Hawaii), and my grandparents' place was a recurring touchpoint. I also enjoy the revision stage of writing.( I'm in the middle of a rewrite at present.) Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandparents' places are, or were for me, the best. The scents (furniture polish, good food, Grandma's perfume (the two grandmas were very different, but both delightful) all were the signal that I was in the best possible place. I drove past Grandma's place (Vermont) and it was odd to think that someone else lived there now. But I was smiling at the memories. Best of luck with your revisions!

      Delete
  10. Happy end the week which went pretty fast, didn't it? Oh, well let's look forward to the next one! I'm celebrating back to school shopping with my grandson!

    Desiree Yearning
    Author/ Sign-up for my Blog at my website!
    e:desireeyearning@gmail.com | w:http://desireeyearning.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grands are the best, whether mothers or sons or daughters! (Fathers, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely spot more errors on paper than on screen, Diana. I love your mountain pic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're probably back by now. Hope you enjoyed the trip. I adore Vermont.

    ReplyDelete