On this blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18, 2014 - Celebrating (the demise of) wisteria





Welcome to Friday  and VikLit 's blog hop.  We're celebrating the small things that make our lives richer.

The information on the hop is below.  Why don't you join us? 



False advertising!
Today I am celebrating going to war against the wisteria in my back yard. I planted some, years ago,   and now have more than I need. No one told me (and to be honest, I didn't do my research) that the species is considered invasive and will send runners and roots all over the place. It is strong and insidious, and can take down a castle.


The only structure that can withstand wisteria is in Wales
In fact, Cromwell tried to use it against Harlech castle.  Harlech won that engagement.  But, alas, I don't live in Harlech castle, so I am off to war.


Wisteria's true nature!
Wisteria is pretty when it blooms, with cascades of fluttery grape-like blossoms.  The Japanese love it.  I (once) loved it.  Not any more.  The stuff has taken down temples in the jungle, and after considerable research and cursing, I have concluded that it is related to The Blob.

The final annoyance is that it has never once bloomed in my yard.  That has sealed its fate.  ...If it does not blob me to death.

I also have chokecherries. (the lookalike weeds, I mean)  They are juicy-stemmed, shoot up like (you guessed it) weeds, and multiply like Hercules' hydra.
Who cares if it can be used for ink?

The berries can be used in place of ink, but since I only have one fountain pen, inherited from my father, I'm not going to gum up its works, or dye my hands, with the stuff.

But this weekend I am waging war, and I am prepared! 

Off to war!

Enjoy yours, everyone!
(weekend, not war)

(...I certainly hope that my dog does not attack the wisteria and chokecherries with lifted leg before I get at them!...)



So...  What are you celebrating?

Have a great weekend, everyone!







10 comments:

  1. I have a hydrangea bush that never blooms. The thing is perfectly healthy in every regard. I'm sure it's doing it to spite me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our neighbors in Germany had wisteria. It was really lovely. Too bad it's so evasive. Sharpen your sword well, and I'm sure you'll come out on top. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! May you emerge from battle triumphant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness I didn't know that about wisteria! Best of luck with this war! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I had no idea wisteria was so invasive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grow veggies and sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your plant-invasion pain. The council generously donated a huge pile of wood chippings to our allotments. Unfortunatley, this donation came with giant hogweed that is now threatening to take over the car park. It's not progressed to my plot, thank goodness, but it's lethal stuff. Steps are being taken to drive it away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the war-story, Diana. I had always wanted a wisteria. I already am battling a trumpet vine that grows right up under my eaves even though I whack it down to a stump every spring. Hope you won the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had wisteria when we lived in Oklahoma City. It looked so pretty climbing to the second floor, at least until it actually grew into the attic and tried to rip the siding off. We hacked it back until it only covered the fence and garden shed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diana .. I love wisteria, but hadn't realised it was a dangerous plant - but it is so stunning when the blue flowers do come out ... but good luck with clearing the yard ... we have invasive species here too ... including rhododendrons ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete