On this blog

Friday, June 13, 2014

Fireflies - (June 13, 2014 Celebrations)





Welcome to Friday!  This post is part of the blog hop  that Vikki at VikLit thought of well over a year ago. 

Here we pause to celebrate the small things that together make our lives richer.  

The hop is still open if you want to join, and it has drawn a wonderful group that posts, remembers, celebrates and just generally supports and cheers you on.

Today I am celebrating one of summer's perennial surprises.  You know: the sort of joy that you forget from year to year, making each new encounter seem as though it is the first.  This always comes as a surprise to me, and it sifts down in several ways to make it memorable each time I encounter it.

I am speaking of what we call 'fireflies'.

They are modest little things, sober-colored insects with that splash of red.  There always comes a point in late spring when I step outside, gaze up a hill  in the deepening twilight, and see, like a handful of stars thrown on the hillside, flickering points of golden light, drifting in the light breeze, rising up into the tree tops.

When visiting my grandmother in Vermont (far northeast United States for those who are not from North America) I can remember driving back from getting ice cream and watching, enthralled, as the forests seemed to flicker with light.


Just two nights ago, one of them was perched on my window screen.  I fell asleep to the gentle, flickering glow.

This weekend, the sporadic showers and the mosquitoes willing, I will be sitting on my porch and watching them against the stars.

How about you?  What are you celebrating? 

The information on the hop is below.  Why don't you join and tell us? 


 





11 comments:

  1. I love watching the fireflies of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing fireflies with us. I've only see a few on a trip I took to Wisconsin several years ago. We don't have them here in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen them before. They look lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching fireflies is one of my fondest memories of growing up. I remember riding in the car at dusk and seeing their light streak by, and I pretended I was in a starship that was going into warp. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fireflies! We don't have as many as we used to, but it's always great to see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love to catch fireflies when I was a kid. I live in Vermont, and there were always dozens of them in the hayfields. So much fun. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fireflies happen more in North Florida than in Central and South Florida now. When I was a kid, I'd see them out in the cow fields around sunset.

    Beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. We don't have those amazing fireflies here, but I've seen them when I was in the southern part of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post! I live in the midwestern US and have not seen a firefly for years. We used to go to San Antonio, Texas where I would see them flick and float. They are so magical. *sigh* Thank you so much for this dreamy post, I envy you! <3

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer magic! Although they're a summertime staple where I live, we haven't yet begun taking them for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being from California, I've never seen a firefly in my life. Until I saw your picture, I didn't even know what they looked like in daylight. They're pretty. Sort of like ladybugs. That would be so cool to see at night! I've only seen the lit up fake ones at Disneyland on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

    ReplyDelete