Sunday, March 24, 2013

Graphic work: Done

Before:
This had problems; the original was worse
Not a lot to complain of, except that the main character featured on the cover was a man, without a doubt, and the kohl around the eyes and the truly bizarre hair - even to those like me who are somewhat familiar with the society makes you doubt it.

I had wanted it to be moving, the tears in the eyes - the story arises from a bereavement - but while I liked the composition and the color, I had to admit to myself (at the very least) that this was wretched and needed to be adjusted.

I liked the colors and the composition, and, as with the other designs in the cycle, I liked using statuary (in this case a bas-relief) that had some connection with the characters.

The hair was problematic, and there were several reasons why I was dissatisfied.


An improvement, but needs work...
Tonight I sat down, thought things through, and worked for severael hours.  I had an idea for a way to fix things.  Doing the hair differently, for starters.  

 After:

The final version
Better hair.  It looks better.  I may lift his chin a little, though he is mourning (hence the title...)

I adjusted it a little this morning and then the connection failed.  I'll upload the 'final' version this evening.  I made the man larger on the page, and raised his chin, as I had intended.

...and here is the final version.  I also removed the hand from the frame, whihc reduced the 'noise.

One more step taken.  *Sigh*.  I will miss this story.

September 6, 2015:
I am editing this to show the final cover.  I scrapped the cover image, which I realized was not up to par, and composed a different one completely:


Picture


No comments:

Post a Comment