On this blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

In Memoriam: Pets

We call them 'pets', and we pamper them and fuss over them and sometimes think that they are in some way a status symbol. 

They love us unconditionally (though perhaps even more deeply when food is involved) and ask in return only that we be their Alpha dogs or -cats and provide them comfort, protection and affection.

In almost all cases, we are the gainers.

The worst thing about them is that they have such heartbreakingly short lives, and the puppy or kitten that rolled across the floor and hurried clumsily to you is suddenly the white-muzzled dog who lifts cloudy eyes to you and thumps his tail on the floor.

Dogs or cats?  I have both.  They both give love.

And they both die too soon.

Last night I bade farewell to a boy I have owned and loved and laughed at for nine years.  It was hard, but he was surrounded by those who loved him as he slipped away.



You never get used to it, but truly, it is a small return for the unquestioning, generous love they give us.

15 comments:

  1. No, it never gets any easier. Very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is, yet each time I grieve, and then I adopt again.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry and I know exactly what you mean but our pain when they are gone only shows the delight we had when they were here and the love they gave and were given in return. Which is all any of us can hope for in our lives. Wishing you peace this weekend - Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly don't get used to it. Condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard when they first pass. I remember all our pets with great fondness. Please accept my sympathy, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana - no as you both say ... it is never easy ... I miss mine - and so appreciate your thoughts to your beloved Orlando ... have a peaceful weekend with your remaining faithfuls ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :-( Our furry friends are one of life's greatest joys with their unconditional love. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, Diana. I'm in my 50s and have had at least 10 cats since I was a child. The heartbreak when they die is enormous, so when my last one died about 10 years ago, I decided not to get any more. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deepest condolences, Diana. Losing a beloved pet is a hard thing. The poem says it well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that you are feeling sad. Loss is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your loss most pointedly, Diana. As you know, I lost my wonderful Pasha the same day as you said goodbye to Orlando. Afterward, we are often quick to say "Never again," and then - one day - another little paw leaves its print on our heart; we start all over again. And every time, it is so worth it.
    For right now though, I mourn with you. Hugs, Inge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lost two elderly cats in recent years. The ending is so, so hard. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I buried a few cats grown up. Definitely heart breaking. My heart goes out to you! We avoid the whole trauma because instead of having pets, we have kids...with allergies. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only pets I've belonged to were stray dogs who must have liked the food I left out for them and they adopted me. They were loyal friends and I was very sad when they died.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even thru your losses, have a healthy New Year!

    Marilyn @ OnBecomingAWriter.com

    ReplyDelete