On this blog

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Celebrations, November 7, 2014





Each Friday brings VikLit's Celebrate the Small Things blog hop, a brilliant idea conceived by Viklit (address below).  We post every Friday, and we tell of the things we are celebrating that week. 

One-Eyed Orlando

With me, it has been a nice week. 

(1)  I have a cat, Orlando, who lost his eye to a mishap that required surgery a little over a week ago.  He is healing well, and the 'Cone of Annoyance' comes off tomorrow.   It could have been so much worse.  I had a one-eyed cat who lived to a week shy of his seventeenth birthday.  He coped beautifully with being one-eyed, and Orlando seems to be doing well, also, though he truly detests the collar.  That will be coming off Saturday. 

(2)  I'll be making pop-overs for breakfast, along with bacon (a reason in itself to celebrate!) and nice, hot tea.  Little things, but enjoyable. 

(here is my recipe:

375 degree oven
muffin pans (deep is nice) greased and sitting in the oven while you mix the batter:

Mix:
1C flour
1 c milk
3 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Don't over-beat the batter.  A light hand is best.

Take the hot pan from the oven and quickly fill the wells 2/3 full with batter.  Half full is fine.  Don't over-fill.  Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes.  Resist the urge to open the oven door to see if the things are popping.  They tend to be bashful in that regard.

Remove from pans (sometimes they will stick), butter and eat.  Some of my friends prefer to just melt and drink butter.  They have no sense of adventure.   You can serve the pop-overs with jam; I prefer them plain.

Anyone from the UK will probably recognize the basic recipe for Yorkshire Pudding, which I also love, but I don't spend a lot of time roasting beef.  Hm...  Maybe I will do that this weekend...

(3)

I'll be going to a gem show this weekend. All sorts of gemstones, precious or semi-precious, lots of things to see, and if you are a people-watcher, it is especially enjoyable.  If you view the video, do turn off the sound.  And please note: just looking is free and fun.


What are you celebrating?










17 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Orlando's eye mishap; but I know he will be doing just fine under your good care (especially after that pesky collar comes off).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Orlando. Hope he's better soon. Can't cook a lick so I won't mess up the pop-overs. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Orlando!!! But it's amazing how well animals can cope in a loving atmosphere. Pop-overs look relish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your poor kitty! He's lucky he has someone as kind as your to take care of him. Those biscuits look awesome! Now I have to go eat something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love a Yorkshire pud, even though I don't eat beef. When we were kids, we'd have Yorkshires with the main course, then if there were any left we'd eat them for afters buttered and dusted with sugar. Naughty, but oh so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana! Good to hear kitty is better. I've never eaten or made pop-overs; that's about to change. Thanks for the recipe! I have a passion for rocks! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear your cat is healing up well. Never had popovers, but they sound delicious and simple. Maybe I'll whip up a batch tomorrow to see what they're like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, poor kitty-kitty. Get well soon, feline friend.

    The popovers look like heaven. In the US, you can be guaranteed a bad batch...no one seems to really "get" the popover (I love Yorkshire pudding, or ANY excuse to roast beef...Yorkshire pudding just makes me feel more continental...).

    Have a GREAT weekend, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear the cat is doing well, and will be out of that horrible torture device soon. My mouth is watering over your popover photo. I'd forgotten all about popovers. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cone of annoyance! I like that. My dog had to wear one of those when she had her spaying surgery! It wasn't fun for her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diana .. yes poor Orlando and his cone of annoyance (good term) ... an eye op is not easy.

    Yorkshire puddings are so good with horseradish sauce and some beef slices ... but I'll take them with bacon, or with jam and lots of butter ... sounds good ...

    Enjoy the gem show .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your kitty is healing well. And those pop overs sound yummy! Have a good time at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I can smell those muffins now. Mine never seem to rise that well, but I'm at a different elevation now, so maybe that matters? Glad Orlando made it to 17 and has been given a second wind. "Cone of annoyance" is a good description.....seems it could apply to other things in life too. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh...wait, I see they are popovers, not muffins. Silly me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad Orlando is doing well. Thanks for sharing your recipe for pop-overs. I may have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about Orlando's mishap. With you by his side, I'm sure he will continue to flourish. Those popovers look delicious. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. :) Thanks for co-hosting. Eva

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad your kitty's on the mend! Thanks for the recipe and for co-hosting this blog hop!

    ReplyDelete