I have just (this morning) finished the First Final Draft of my latest, Mourningtide. That means I've filled in holes, the narrative flows, I've found most basic mistakes, and I'm satisfied with it as it stands at this moment.
It also means that I'll be doing a beta read (and perhaps inflicting it on associates to do the same) and will be tweaking and deepening and possibly, coming up with another title.
My earlier works were over ten years in the making. That is to say, I finished them, copyrighted them, sent them around and then went into a dry spell. During the time I tried to decide what to do with them I picked at them, re-edited them, deepened them... They are in good shape.
But I don't have ten years to spend on this one. Actually, it came together more quickly than the others (thank you, plotting-by-the-seat-of-my-pants) and I think it will be a year's project, since it started November 1.
It will be available in Kindle, but I'm also thinking of Smashwords (and the others), and I'll have it available in paperback, too.
Whew! I'll be missing these characters, but I am finding it easier to move on now.